Friday, August 14, 2009

My First How-To Post: Dandelion Wine

I'm excited to post my first tutorial blog. I get a pretty big jolt out of foraging supplies from my back yard and this post should elevate me from personal mommy blogger to Crafting and Nature and Food&Wine blogger. Yessssss.

Whatchya need:
2 quarts dandelion flowers
3 lbs. granulated sugar
1/2 oz. champagne yeast
1 lemon
1 orange
1 gallon boiling water
Lotsa time on the day you pick the dandelions

First, pick 2 quarts of dandelions in midday, when the flowers are fluffy and open.



Check to see if people around you like butter. It is official: Jimmy likes butter.



Next, wash the flowers and pick the yellow leaves off the head so you are left with no more green material from the stem. Place into a large stainless steel bowl and then add the orange and lemon slices.



Then, add gallon of boiling water.



Then, cover and let sit for 10 days.



I wasn't very excited about having to wait the 10 days. On Day 3 we put our bowl in an empty kitchen cupboard and on Day 8 it started giving off a wonderful light airy citrus-y flowery scent and we knew we were on to a good thing. Day 10, we were busy and put off the process another day. We were busy the next two days and then set scheduled specific time for our winery on Day 13. We got our colander and yeast all ready for the next step and eagerly retrieved our dandelion mixture. We removed the top to find...

...

mold.


I didn't take photos, I just got mad and tossed it all down the drain.

Oh well, maybe next year? Here's the rest of the How-To. No blogging graduation for me, I'm staying back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment