Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"G.GordonLiddeee, this is DELICIOUS!"

...that's what Hubby exclaimed when I fed him today's Watergate Salad. I'd never heard of Watergate Salad until Jimmy slipped a box of pistachio pudding into our cart a few days ago, I just didn't have the heart to utter once more "no Cutie...we don't need that" so we brought the box home and used it as a reading experiment:



...which turned into a recipe experiment:



...and then an eatin' experiment.



As far as a history experiment goes (why is this called Watergate Salad??), I must yield to the almighty Wikipedia because when it comes to history I'm braindead'd.
The origin of the name “Watergate salad” is obscure. Kraft Corporate Affairs said, "We developed the recipe for Pistachio Pineapple Delight. It was in 1975, the same year that pistachio pudding mix came out." Kraft, however, didn't refer to it as Watergate Salad until consumers started requesting the recipe for it under the name. "According to Kraft Kitchens, when the recipe for Pistachio Pineapple Delight was sent out, an unnamed Chicago food editor renamed it Watergate Salad to promote interest in the recipe when she printed it in her column."
And here I thought Watergate was some Nixon/Forrest Gump thing. Ok, wait...I'm receiving word that Watergate is a Nixon thing, see I thought it tasted Nixony, thank the lawd for live internet reporting, eh.

In other news, on the same shopping trip (thanks, ahem, Walmart) we picked up a yard of choo-riffic fabric...







...which turns out to be a fun use of $4.44 (the discount price of The Beast, mmuuuuuwaaaahahahaa...) Happy fore-twenny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess so - The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere and Deep Throat - you are historically deprived or a very young thing! Lovin it all!

sheila said...

OMG, you crack me up!

~Denise~ said...

watergate salad is HUGE at my home. Yum!

Nice Walmart buy!

Post a Comment